[resource-net] Exhibition Opening 'HYLE' @ Atelierhof Kreuzberg

assistant at theresaschubert.com assistant at theresaschubert.com
Thu Jun 9 10:28:47 CEST 2022

Exhibition Invitation
OPENING 10 JUNE 2022 | ATELIERHOF KREUZBERG
A bio-cybernetic installation by Theresa Schubert  and Ivan Taranin

Dear friends, colleagues and art lovers,

I am very happy to invite you to my first show in Berlin this year at
the gallery space of Atelierhof Kreuzberg, where I also have my studio.
Hylē is a new work combining realtime video projections, algae
bioreactors and human interaction and is  a further development of
'ooze' commissioned by Laboratoria Art & Science Foundation and
Kaspersky last year.

The audiovisual installation Hylē interacts with one of the most
existential bodily mechanisms of  living beings: breathing. Between
observation, meditation, material experimentation and playful action
Hylē offers an algae-altered narration about aspects of our world by
investigating visual metaphors of network dynamics modulated in realtime
through interaction with a living biological sculpture and the larger
world. Hylē displays the successive interconnectedness of the presence,
the actions taking place within and the effects, reactions and feedbacks
they cause.

The multi-channel video environment is created from 3D-laser scans of a
forest and the inside of a serverfarm and open for interaction to the
public via an air sensor. By breathing into a funnel device two aspects
of the work are affected: firstly, the CO2 enriched air will be measured
by a sensor before it is being pumped into the algae bioreactors. The
sensor signals will trigger disturbances and abstraction in the scanned
video environments and sound synthesis in realtime.  Secondly, algae
need CO2 for their metabolism and will release Oxygen in their
photosynthetic process which is returned to the air in the exhibition
space thus creating a feedback between human breath, algae and the
audiovisual spheres. By this Hylē suggests an aesthetic and conceptual
relation by interlinking a forest as a hyperorganism with a serverfarm
as metaphors for the underlying networks of our digital and carbon
lifes.

The audience is invited to participate in the interactive installation,
experiencing the direct impact of their existence by altering the
immersive and ephemeral audiovisual environment and by this their own
sensorial state.
Looking forward to seeing you there! Until then, stay updated via the
Facebook-Event or my Instagram.

All the best,
Theresa
Details:

Exhibition: 11 - 19 June 2022
Opening times:
Wed-Fri, 4pm to 7pm
Sat-Sun, 3pm to 7pm

Opening: 10 June, 6pm to 10pm
Closing + Artist talk: 19 June 2022, 5pm
Opening also on request: assistant at theresaschubert.com

Atelierhof Kreuzberg
Schleiermacherstr. 31
10961 Berlin