[resource-net] To be or not to be non-profit

Rachel Uwa rachel.uwa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:08:09 CEST 2021

Hi Resource peeps,

I hope summer has treated you well!
Just curious for those of you who have made the leap into becoming an
official non-profit-- are you able to take care of all your needs? Are
there any downsides?

School of Machines looked into being non-profit on several occasions. We
started off with a fiscal sponsor but eventually it became a bit of a
hassle. Then we looked into gGmbH but of course could never quite get the
capital together as we are for all intents and purposes operating as a
non-profit without the official status.

So now we are at the point of reevaluation and looking back into it again.
>From what I understand there are many orgs who run as both an e.V. and a
proper business so that they have the luxury of both. For those of you who
are running a gUG or gGmbH, I assume that is unnecessary?

Can any of you help to clarify the pros and cons or if you've chosen one
way of running a business but wish you'd chosen another model or anything
in this realm?

Hearing about and learning from your experiences with all this would be
greatly appreciated!

Warmly,
Rachel

*Creative Director | School of Machines, Making & Make-Believe
<http://schoolofma.org/>*
*Fall Online classes are open. Visit our programs page
<http://schoolofma.org/programs.html> for more info and to sign-up! *