[resource-net] BORDERS OF FEAR: Migration, Security & Control (27-29 November)

Lieke Ploeger lieke at disruptionlab.org
Fri Nov 6 13:40:34 CET 2020

Dear reSourcers,

We are happy to invite you to the 21st conference of the Disruption
Network Lab, which will happen soon:

BORDERS OF FEAR: Migration, Security & Control
November 27-29, Livestreamed from Kunstquartier Bethanien.

Journalists, activists, advocates, lawyers, researchers and critical
thinkers will unveil the persecution, control, and cultural violence
surrounding borders & migration.

BORDERS OF FEAR sheds light on wrongdoing in the context of migration by
investigating the reasons for and practice of rising walls and borders,
leading to physical and cultural violence and persecution and human
rights violations. The conference focuses on the discourse of borders at
both a concrete level and as a strategy of cultural violence on the part
of right-wing propaganda. We analyse the closure of frontiers, the
creation of refugee camps, and escalation of security, as well as how
border policing and the datafication of society are affecting the
narrative around migrants and refugees in Europe and the west.

We hope to have many of you with us on our livestream!

Below you can find our conference schedule, and more details are
available here: https://www.disruptionlab.org/borders-of-fear.

All the best,

Lieke & the Disruption Network Lab team.

------------------------------

*CONFERENCE - LIVESTREAM SCHEDULE*

*Friday, November 27  · 2020*
16:00 · OPENING
16:15—16:30 · SHORT FILM: Best of Luck with the Wall
by Josh Begley (Artist & Filmmaker, Intercept / Field of Vision, US)

16:30—18:00 ·  PANEL
Sally Hayden (Freelance Investigative Journalist and Photographer, IE),
Philipp Schönberger (Coordinator, Refugee Law Clinic Berlin on Samos,
ihaverights.eu, DE), Franziska Schmidt (Coordinator, Refugee Law Clinic
Berlin on Samos, ihaverights.eu, DE). Moderated by Roberto Perez-Rocha
(Director for the International Anti-Corruption Conference Series at
Transparency International, MEX/DE).

18:45—20:15 ·  PANEL
Hanaa Hakiki (Legal Advisor, ECCHR Migration Program, DE), Dimitra
Andritsou (Forensic Architecture Borders Programme, GR/DE), Nicole
Vögele (Filmmaker and Reporter, CH). Moderated by Likhita Banerji (Human
Rights & Technology Researcher, Amnesty International, IN/DE)

*Saturday, November 28 · 2020
*16:00—16:10 · INTRO
16:10—16:30 · INVESTIGATION
Nello Scavo (Investigative Journalist, IT)

16:30—17:30 · CONVERSATION
Yoseph Zemichael Afeworki (ERI/ETH/LUX), Ambre Schulz (Project Officer,
Passerell, LUX). Moderated by Sally Hayden (Freelance Investigative
Journalist and Photographer, IE)

18:15—19:45 · PANEL
Gaia Giuliani (Permanent Researcher, Centro de Estudos Socias /CES,
University of Coimbra, IT/PT), Claudia Aradau (Professor of
International Politics, Department of War Studies, King’s College
London, UK), Joana Varon (Founder at Coding Rights, Tech and Human
Rights Fellow at Harvard Carr Center, BR). Moderated by Walid El-Houri
(Researcher, Journalist & Filmmaker, Lead Editor at openDemocracy, LBN/DE).
*
**Sunday, November 29 · 2020*
16:00—17:30 · COMMUNITY PANEL
Regina Catrambone (Co-founder and Director of MOAS - Migrant Offshore
Aid Station, IT/MLT), Thomas Kalunge (Strategy advisor/Agile Project
Manager, Migrant Media Network / r0g_agency, KE/DE) and Mattea Weihe
(Cultural Mediator, SeaWatch e.V., DE). Moderated by Michael Ruf (Writer
& Director, Mittelmeer-Monologe, DE).

*
COMMUNITY WORKSHOPS*

Sunday, November 29 · 2020
11:00—14:00 · WORKSHOP @SUPERRR LAB, Oranienstr. 58a
Critical Tools for Counter Investigations - a workshop by Forensic
Architecture
With: Dimitra Andritsou (Forensic Architecture Borders Programme, GR/DE).

Tuesday, December 1 · 2020
19:00—22:00 · WORKSHOP @ACUD Macht Neu, Veteranenstr. 21
With: Migrant Media Network (r0g_agency, DE)

More information: https://www.disruptionlab.org/borders-of-fear.

--
Lieke Ploeger
Disruption Network Lab