[resource-net] Meeting AG '21C Art & Digital Culture' -15 June @Supermarkt

cdelutz at artlaboratory-berlin.org cdelutz at artlaboratory-berlin.org
Fri Jun 2 12:32:08 CEST 2017

Hello Colleagues,
On 22 May the Koalition der freie Szene (KFS) Plenum approved a new working group: 21 Century art & Digital Culture, with the purpose of improving the situation for New Media and Hybrid arts in Berlin (see more below). We had our first official meeting as an AG (working group)  on 29 May (also see below)

The founding members include: Tatiana Bazzichelli, Ela Kagel, Christian de Lutz, Lieke Ploeger, Paolo Podrescu, Rüdiger Sakrowksi, Erika Siekstelyte a.o.
On 15 June, 2017 at 6PM we invite you to our next meeting at Supermarkt, Mehringplatz 9, 10969 Berlin  (Ubhf Hallesches Tor)

On the Agenda will be:
   -  a discussion of a position paper for the Berlin Senat - content, research and division of tasks
   - artistic research: the importance for artist and curators working with technology and science and the forthcoming paper from KFS and the Senat Office for Culture and Europe

   - Other AGs (Working groups) within the KFS, and possible synergies
   - Future plans/ projects
   - Other business

About Us/ Working Group 21st Century Art & Digital Culture within the Koalition der Freie Szene

Mission Statement:    Working Group 21st Century Art & Digital Culture
We are artists, curators and spaces in Berlin who are active in diverse cultural manifestations relating to new technologies and their greater social, political and cultural effects in the 21st century. Our work ranges from digital art (net.art, software art, hardware hacking, etc) to experimental electronic music (e.g. noise, glitch, drone), Science-Art and BioArt, investigations into digital and 'post-digital' culture: the open source  and DIY movements, data protection, digital surveillance and civil and human rights issues relating to new technologies, as well as the use of new technologies in performing arts, music, visual arts and especially in inter-disciplinary (Spartenübergreifende) and Hybrid forms.
What ties this diverse, inter- and trans-disciplinary group together is a critical, knowledge-based approach to new technologies. We are united by a process of working with science and technologies as media to be examined, demystified and utilized for creative production with special attention to politische Bildung and the social good. Our use of new technologies as a starting point separates us from our original disciplines (Fine arts, music, performing arts) but binds us across our fields (Sparten).

Minutes of the MEETING: Monday 29th May 18:00 Supermarkt
   - Present: Ela Kagel, Chris de Lutz, Tatiana Bazzichelli, Paolo Podrescu, Lieke Ploeger, Thomas Heidtmann, Lucy Patterson, Rüdiger Sakrowksi, Erika Siekstelyte

   - We will draft an outline for the position paper to be discussed in the next meeting (see above)

   - We will research into existing position papers to find out what format / outline could work best

   - We will set up a mailinglist for the group (Lieke will look into possibility of using the OKFN instance of discourse)

Tentative outline for a position paper (From Meeting on Monday 29 May, 2017 @ Supermarkt):

   - Call for a more transparent jury- and decision-making process for digital art funding

   - Raise awareness of the importance of digital art & culture for Berlin (also historically)

   - Developing tactics & strategies in order to strengthen the digital arts scene at a political level

   - Informing cultural policy makers about the needs and demands of the cultural producers of this scene

   - Include a list of proposed measures to improve the situation (for example having our field recognised as a specific category to fund, including a representative in the Sprecherkreis of the Koalition der Freie Szene)

   - Refer to text from the Koalitionsvereinbarung ("Zur Erprobung innovativer Formate mit digitalen Technologien wird die Koalition einen Innovationsfonds für Projekte der Einrichtungen und der Freien Szene etablieren.") and detail what this should involve from our perspective
We welcome new members and interested colleagues from the community. If you have questions feel free to contact me.
Christian de Lutz

Christian de Lutz
ARTLABORATORYBERLIN
Prinzenallee 34