[resource-net] // BLACKLIST Berlin, #1: The Militarisation of Police //

Julian Oliver julian at julianoliver.com
Sun Jan 29 16:04:44 CET 2017

You are cordially invited to our inaugural BLACKLIST event at Spektrum, Berlin,
on Wednesday February the 8th.

The theme of our first event is The Militarisation of Police, wherein we screen
the award-winning documentary 'Do Not Resist' two weeks prior to its appearance
in German cinemas. Following the screening a panel of experts will engage a
small, RSVP audience on the challenges a militarised Police presents to the
public, with particular attention placed on the situation here in Europe.

Confirmed panelists include: German civil-rights expert on Police violence,
NETZPOLITIK, member and editor of CILIP Matthias Monroy; American
counter-surveillance artist and activist Adam Harvey; German theatre director
and activist Angela Richter; German civil rights lawyer Lukas Theune.  Julian
Oliver, BLACKLIST co-organizer, artist and activist, will moderate the exchange.

Please find more about the event, alongside an RSVP email address, map and
trailer for 'Do Not Resist', here:

    https://blackl.st

As this is a free event with limited seats, we kindly ask you RSVP at least
48hrs beforehand.

                                --------

BLACKLIST is a series of public documentary film screenings and accompanying
panel sessions thematically grouped around the significant societal and
environmental challenges of our time. Themes include (yet are not limited to)
Militarisation of Police, Automated Systems and Artificial Intelligence, Mass
Surveillance, 21st Century Fascism, Over-consumption, The 6th Mass Extinction,
Food Security and Climate Change.

Each screening comprises a single newly-released documentary film and panel of
four to six guests whose members are considered experts and/or activists closely
related to the (given) theme. It is the goal of this panel to address tensions,
challenges and mitigation strategies following the screening, inviting debate
and discussion to the ends of encouraging engagement.

In short, BLACKLIST aims to bring attendees in contact with activists around
themes already important to them, stimulating their own 'latent activist' to get
involved toward the ends of enacting positive change.

The theme of a BLACKLIST event is prescribed by parent Black Sheep events,
occurring a week before; the initiative of Ziya Tong, they comprise private,
ad-hoc screenings to activists in cities worldwide. It is at a Black Sheep event
that activists volunteer to attend and publicly engage audiences at a follow-up
BLACKLIST screening.

BLACKLIST is the project of Manon Bernard, Julian Oliver and Crystelle Vu.

    https://blackl.st

BLACKLIST is kindly supported by:

    Spektrum http://spektrumberlin.de/
    Black Sheep http://blacksh33p.org/