[resource-net] Hypernatural Sounds #4: Objet autre – Performances and talks

Desiree Förster foerster.desiree at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 10:10:17 CET 2017

You are cordially invited to *Hypernatural Sounds #4: Objet autre* as part
of the official Transmediale Vorspiel program at *SomoS on 12.02.2017 from
4 pm*. An afternoon with three performances and two presentations will
broaden the perspective of the “objet autre”:

Mario de Vega <http://portfolio.mariodevega.info/> (objects, contact,
feedback): Exploring the physicality of listening and the threshold of
human perception, Mario de Vega researches the materiality of sound, the
vulnerability of systems, materials and individuals, and the potential of
unstable systems.

D’incise <http://www.dincise.net/> (laptop & objets percussives): Sound
explorer, he has no perticular instrument, using whatever can be considered
as such, softwares, recordings, objects, percussions, harmonium, etc. He’s
interested in radicalism, reductionnism, repetitions and conceptual
approaches, building specific set-up for each new occasion, in improvised
or composed context.

Daichi Yoshikawa <http://daichiyoshikawa.tumblr.com/> (feedback & objects):
Cyclist and artist Daichi Yoshikawa is interested in the spaces we can
construct together through the intensities of live performance. His
practice is feedback. His work is the push and pull of extremes: pitch,
volume and gesture.

Presentations by the artist and philosopher Emiddio Vasquez
<http://www.emiddiovasquez.com/> and artist Elizabeth McTernan
<http://astheworldtilts.com/> will follow the performances. After the
discussion with all artists we will serve a light dinner.

The HYPERNATURAL SERIES: THE PHILOSOPHY OF SOUNDS is a series of
performances and discussions, curated by Pedro Lopes & Desiree Förster,
which brings together musicians and theorists to share with the audience
the philosophy behind Sound-art and music. In this event of the
Hypernatural series we are investigating le “objet petit a” — as in autre,
the other. Deriving from the psychoanalytic theory of Jacques Lacan, objet
petit a stands for the unattainable object of desire, our emphasis is on
the dynamics that arise between the musician and objects that pertain the
sounds. These relationships move and give space to each other but never
attain any agreeable form, i.e., “unattainable object of desire”. These
three musicians are particular examples of these oscillating relationships
in their choices of aesthetics and musical instruments — all using common
objects as sound sources. In the discussion that will follow, we talk about
the role of objects in artistic practice as well as part of contemporary
discourses and how we – the artists as well as the audience – experience
the material through opening up its qualities in a performative act. How
much does the discourse around new materialism, technofossils, and
hyperobjects represent a desire for something beyond the human
consciousness, some metaphysical reality beyond what is perceptible to our
senses? Instead of just thinking about objects as something that always
conceals itself – what new ways of engaging with can we find in musical
practice?

Hypernatural Sounds #4: Objet autre – Performances and talks

Entry fee: 6-10 €
SomoS
Kottbusser Damm 95

More Information on Hypernatural Sounds #4: Objet autre:

http://www.somos-arts.org/hypernatural-sounds4-object-autre/
https://transmediale.de/content/call-for-proposals-
vorspiel-2017-pre-festival-program
http://hypernatural-sounds.org/