[resource-net] Counter Surveillance Workshop, Spektrum Berlin, 22-24 April

Danja Vasiliev danja at k0a1a.net
Wed Apr 12 15:19:57 CEST 2017

Dear resource,

A continuation of our popular Critical Engineering intensives, we're
pleased to present a new workshop tackling network counter surveillance,
hosted at Spektrum Berlin from the 22nd to the 24th of April.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------->

CRITICAL ENGINEERING: COUNTER SURVEILLANCE WORKSHOP

As our dependence on networked technology deepens, so does the risk of
that same technology being used to exploit us.

This intensive 3-day workshop will guide participants through the tools,
techniques and concepts necessary to protect themselves and those they
care about from compromise by state actors, corporations and other
predators in networked domains. Rather than simply installing
privacy-focused software and trusting its efficacy, the Counter
Surveillance Workshop prioritises a strong grounding in network
topologies, threat-modeling and surveillance tactics toward the ends of
a broadly applicable skill set.

>From capturing and reconstructing data from wireless traffic, to device
tracking, the dark web and online anonymity, participants will acquire
both skills and tools normally reserved for those who would wish to take
advantage of our lack of knowledge, to assert power over us.

A derivation of the popular 5-day NETworkshop, this intensive is
intended for those with little or no prior understanding of
counter-surveillance or digital networks. As we will traverse abstract
and technical territories - some of which will appear at first opaque -
we do however ask that only determined, ethically conscious and focused
participants apply. Activists, members of NGOs and at-risk journalists
are especially encouraged to attend, with respect to anonymity, as
required.

All software, free and open source, will be provided.

  http://spektrumberlin.de/events/detail/counter-surveillance-workshop.html

  https://criticalengineering.org/intensives/2017/counter-surveillance/

TEACHERS

Julian Oliver and Danja Vasiliev are experienced practitioners and
teachers in the areas of computer networking, radio, network
decentralisation, counter-surveillance, wireless forensics, embedded
systems and UNIX system administration. Their workshops have been taught
throughout Europe, America and many other countries worldwide over the
past decade.

With kind regards,

--
The Critical Engineering Working Group