[resource-net] difference between City Tax adn Hauptstadtkultorfonds?

cdelutz at artlaboratory-berlin.org cdelutz at artlaboratory-berlin.org
Mon Sep 19 13:01:50 CEST 2016

Arne,
The last HKF results seemed to imply they were 'giving smaller spaces/projects' over to the City Tax.
There's a an interesting paradox to what you say which uncovers a (the?) main problem with the funding problem her (and elsewhere)
The bigger and more hierarchical an institution gets, the less innovative it tends to become. The more it plays along with cultural politics, relationships, 'quid pro quo' the less chances it is willing to take, in short the more conservative it becomes.
As smaller institutions there is a limit to the 'attention capital' we can get. The more time we do this or playing cultural politics, the less time we have for programming.

So either we play the game (and our quality suffers, or we can compromise by doing something more conservative) or we need to find funding outside of the Berlin city atm
Or maybe Berlin is just the wrong city for what we are trying to do? Or maybe we have to find a way to make it the right city? But competing with larger institutions (like KW) for attention capital seems to me to either be a Sisyphean task (which takes time away from programming) or we need to find an easier (noisier?) way to short circuit this very neo-liberal sounding concept of 'attention capital'

another note: strangely, despite the Berlin startup hype, the only digitalisation I've seen in the 'art world has been about archives and PR. In general work in digital media, and especially work which examines and critiques the digital have received limited funding from the city (if a bit more from the 'Bund'). In the visual arts at least, art is still supposed to adhere to the aesthetic/conceptual rules of the 1960s and 1970s. Otherwise it is funded marginally if at all...
Chris Christian de Lutz
ARTLABORATORYBERLIN
Prinzenallee 34
13359 Berlin