[resource-net] Hypernatural Sounds#3: Exit Strategies at Liebig12 Berlin

liebig zwoelfe liebigzwoelfe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:19:55 CEST 2016

August 22nd 2016

Doors 7.30pm - Performances start 8.30pm

*HYPERNATURAL SERIES: THE PHILOSOPHY OF SOUNDS* is a series curated by *Pedro
Lopes *and *Desiree Förster*. This series brings together musicians and
theorists for sharing with the audience the philosophy behind sound art and
music.

In our current western society, we experience “Exits” everywhere – we long
them, we fear them, we can hardly believe them when they happen to us, we
exit our affiliations, we exit identities and genres, we exit everything.
Exit strategies in culture or artistic practice can provide structures for
distribution and creation, enable creativity or trigger our deep-down
utopian visions in form of escapist arrangements.

At the *Hypernatural Sounds # 3: exit strategies* we will engage directly
in the heart of this discussion. Not by merely theorizing it from a
distance but by engaging in conversation (and in concerts) with three
musicians which in their own way testify for different exit strategies.

*The performances will be followed by an extended discussion round
including the artists, Allegra Solitude (Liebig12), Lieke Ploeger
(Spektrum), and DIYchurch. *

The artists:

*Mikko Savela*: a guitarist of finnish origin, born and based in Umeå,
Sweden. Mikko's work entails not just unique ways of playing a guitar by
destroying it through percussion, but also a manual on how to break away
from trends, norms, which are deeply embedded in the acoustic guitar -
perhaps the most mainstream musical object of all times. Mikko's work is as
physical as it is creative.

*Liz Albee*: is a musician who works with the imaginarchic potential of
sonic material. Her work constantly challenges the limit of the instrument
and the surroundings, which includes merging the trumpet with a myriad of
objects and of course the human body. Liz is a creator of
lo-fi technologies for instrument extension, entailing extremly
performative explorations of non-idiomatic music.

*Martyna Poznanska*: is a sound artist whose investigations dig into all
those small sounds around us, those omnipresent pieces of acoustic
ecology: noise within urban environments. Her work, through field
recordings, compositions and installations, is as much about the sounds
that she triggers as about your role in listening: an open invitation to
explore the listener's side inside the performance.

When it comes to artists, the question of positioning oneself and oneself's
artwork in relation to society is crucial. In art, unlike in the
aforementioned business world, one can easily "sell out" while seeking
survival-in-this-harsh-capitalistic-empire and quickly become
uninteresting; on the contrary many opt for hiding in "underground" niches
and find funding sources outside the art world; many gray scales in between
exist, and all of these together inform each artist's' position and exit
strategies. But what do artists try to escape?

*This "exit strategies" is kindly broadcasted by **DIYChurch**, a radio
show that has been live streaming/remixing/repurposing the experimental
scene since 2010 with a DIY attitude and a zine-like outlook (**read more
here too**). DIYchurch airs via the **Reboot.FM** network (a berlin-based
fm community radio) and is eternally and communally available at **archive.org
<http://archive.org/>**. *

Liebig12
Liebigstrasse 12
10247 Berlin