[resource-net] Invitation South Sudan Inside-Out, 8th July 2014 (#DefyHateNow)

stephen kovats kovats at r0g-media.org
Wed Jul 2 16:24:08 CEST 2014

hi resourcers ...

I wouldn't normally post an event plug on the list, but i think the subject may be of interest to some of you! In collaboration with the German Africa foundation we're holding a small event on hate speech and directed social media incitement to violence in South Sudan conflict. The event will feature the co-founder of Talk of Juba, one of South Sudan's best and open online communities and Prof. Leben Nelson Moro, chair of the Center for Peace and Development Studies at the University of Juba.

We'd love to see some of you there!

cheers,

Stephen
              and                          invite you to ...

South Sudan Inside-Out: Rebooting the Peace

#DefyHateNow

©Tim McKulka CC-BY-SA Wikipedia.de

Since December 15, 2013, merely two years after its hard won independence, the world's newest country, South Sudan has hit the public's attention for all the wrong reasons. Headlines rife with reports of brutal violence, a massive humanitarian crisis and ongoing political chaos question whether true peace is at all possible. Although ceasefires and peace agreements have been been signed by president Salva Kiir Mayardit and his opponent, former vice president Riek Machar, a viable solution for solving the conflict is yet to be found.

On July 8th, the eve of South Sudan's third independance day we turn our view to the broader forms of active public interaction with the current situation both inside and outside the country. What role, for example, does the international diaspora play in either fueling the conflict or re-establishing peace? In what may be an increasingly globally manipulated conflict, waged in part by the ubiquity of social media, what are the creative means that can be found to counter hate speech and directed campaigns that incite violence on the ground? How can we harness the power of new media to open up civil society? And what are the chances and challenges that South Sudanese youth see for the future of their country ... can they play a stronger, more influential role to #DefyHateNow?

Introduction: Christoph Strässer, German Federal Government Commissioner for Human Rights Policy and Humanitarian Aid

Featuring:
Dr. Leben Nelson Moro     Center for Peace and Development Studies, University of Juba, South Sudan
Sieta Majok                          Writer, Blogger and Co-Founder of #TalkOfJuba
Marina Peter                        Sudan Forum e.V.
Achwil Biong Arop Kuol     First Secretary, Charge d'Affaires, Embassy of the Republic of South Sudan in Germany

Moderation: Dr. h.c. Volker Faigle, Official Envoy of the Council of the Evangelical Church in Germany to Sudan and South Sudan

Further Information:

https://www.facebook.com/events/521546791305720/
http://r0g-media.org/2014/06/20/defyhatenow-rp14

The event will also be streamed and moderated live for online remote participation - we'd like to hear your voice and views wherever you are located!
Please consult the Time Zone Converter for your local event time.