[resource-net] Free workshop for freelance curators/Vorspiel space needed

Kate Allis Martin kate at contemporaryartexchange.org
Mon Oct 21 10:36:56 CEST 2013

Hi resource people,

There are two things I'd like to share with you today!

FREE Workshop!
Tomorrow morning at 10am  I'm running a free 1-hour workshop for freelance curators with Nina Bulsche from SOMWEHERE at Supermarkt. SOMEWHERE organise conversation based workshops where like-minded people can come together and swap ideas, knowledge and solutions for problems within their work. The event will be a chance for curators, cultural producers and arts managers from a variety of backgrounds to meet, get to know one another and discuss the following topics:

How do you organise yourself on a daily basis? How do you manage to break down all activities such as organising, researching, administering, networking, teaching and more?
How do you market your practice & communicate to people what you do?
How do you determine your value and negotiate fees?
What are the methods & sources you use to develop and realise new projects?

Feel free to pass the details onto other curators you know. You can join us by clicking on the invitation link: bit.ly/WorkshopInvite

Vorspiel Space Needed
I'm looking for a space for an exhibition I'd like to organise for Vorspiel, please let me know if you find the below abstract interesting and would like to chat about it for potential collaboration, or if you know of any spaces that I could contact outside of our network. Many thanks!!!

The exhibition that I propose, The Visible Void questions the concept of ?the void? as the unknown or the unchartable in a post-digital society.
In a world in which digital technology enables us to document, measure and map every single possible trace of our existence, are there any un-mapped, un-charted, invisible gaps left? Is there still such a thing as a void in the afterglow of our post-utopic digital world? What we believe we know and don?t know about our own existence and the environment we inhabit is largely based on our visual comprehension of the world around us. Yet the void, something that is defined by an absence of everything else, escapes perception and comprehension. If the void is a symbol for something lacking, or a nothingness, how do we make it visible? How are artists using the digital to explore how voids can be made visible?
An open call will allow Berlin based artist working in a range of media such as, video, photography, sculpture, sound art, installation, interactive etc. to apply for and be selected for this opportunity. I would also like to organise an event or events that can coincide with the exhibition where we and the artists can run a workshop/discussion group/brainstorming session to open the question of Visible Voids out to the public/local community.

Best,

Kate

Kate Martin
Curator/Arts Educator