[resource-net] transmediale 2014 afterglow - Call For Works

Tatiana Bazzichelli tbazz at transmediale.de
Mon Jun 24 15:57:20 CEST 2013

Dear all,

here we are with the new transmediale 2014 thematic framework & call for
works.
We look forward to your proposals!

Best, Tatiana

transmediale 2014 afterglow
Call For Works, Deadline 31 July

THEMATIC FRAMEWORK: afterglow
The digital revolution is over again and this time “YOU” lost.
In the wastelands of its aftermath, what is still burning?

With the theme afterglow, transmediale 2014 suggests that in a world
where resources (human, bodily, material, environmental, economic ...)
are more and more used up, the digital does not any longer stand up to
its promise of antiseptic high-tech worlds and opportunities for all. On
the contrary, digital culture is more and more becoming a
post-apocalyptic wasteland ruled by a few powerful clan leaders. Still,
digital culture is full of things that shine and glow, both promising
and uncanny: from social media to big data. On the one hand, this
afterglow can be seen as an extreme expression of the wasteful state of
digital culture (excess, overload, endless repetition, pre-emption of
meaning, exploitation), but on the other hand, as “one man’s trash is
another man’s treasure”, this afterglow is also providing the transition
to new forms of being. If we are living in a post-digital culture, then
afterglow is what characterises its aesthetics and politics during the
transition to new cultural forms that are still unknown to us.

In the 2014 edition of the transmediale festival, the idea of an
afterglow of digital culture is taken as an opportunity to speculate on
positions that lead beyond the digital: not beyond the digital in a
literal sense as in doing away with digital technology, but beyond the
digital as a metaphysical character that overcodes all forms of
existence. Even a supposedly critical term like “post-digital” is in
this sense only promoting an idea of the contemporary and of the future
as predetermined by the digital. Instead of revelling in the hypes of
the post-digital, we invite the contributors of transmediale 2014 to
reflect on this afterglow: to exploit our nostalgia for the pre-digital
through the use of trashed technologies, ideas and narratives and/or to
imagine new modes of existence and new modalities of critical
intervention, by junking the afterglow of digital culture.

SUBMIT YOUR WORK
transmediale 2014 afterglow will take place from 28 January to 2
February at the Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin. The programme will
feature a diversity of different types of work in a thematic exhibition
as well as film and video screening, workshop, performance, and
conference programmes. transmediale is always interested in works
exploring our complex relation to technology, be it through new or old
media. The exhibition programme is particularly oriented towards
artworks that explore ambiguous relationships to technologies and their
associated cultural paradigms, proposing both speculative and inventive
positions. The video programme is devoted to contemporary artistic video
works and experimental film screenings with historical points of
reference. The performance programme ranges from live audiovisual work
and interventions to performative lectures. The conference and workshop
programmes explore the critical dimension of networking, hacktivism,
media theory and the politics of technological development.

SELECTION PROCESS
Even though the themes of the transmediale are set by the curatorial
team, the focus of the individual programmes is developed further in
relation to the works submitted for this call. In this way we strive to
create a dialogue between the thematic ideas and current artistic
practice. The final programme of the festival eventually consists of a
mix of invited participants, projects of our all year platform (reSource
transmedial culture berlin) and contributions selected through the call.
Notification about the inclusion in the programme of the festival may
take up until November 2013.

For more information on this call for works, how to submit and the
conditions of entry go to:
http://www.transmediale.de/content/transmediale-2014-call-for-works

transmediale — festival for art and digital culture
Klosterstraße 68, D-10179 Berlin, Germany
tel +49 (0)30 24 749 761, fax +49 (0)30 24 749 763
call[at]transmediale.de
transmediale.de

--
Tatiana Bazzichelli // programme curator
reSource transmedial culture berlin // http://www.transmediale.de/resource

transmediale | festival for art and digital culture berlin
Klosterstr. 68 10179 Berlin, Germany | fon +49 30 24749 761 | fax +49 30
24749 763
Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender Volker Heller | Geschäftsführer Moritz van Dülmen