[resource-net] Minutes(Protokoll) of the 2nd Roundtable for Berlin New Media Spaces

podinski pod at xlterrestrials.org
Thu Oct 25 16:42:19 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I haven't been able to attend one of these meetings since General Public
in Aug(?)...

But very interested in the network and TM/Re:source's new approach to
strengthening the local ties ( and facilitate longterm + tangible goals
for artists living in, and particpating in Berlin ) and I will try and
make it to Liebig12 Nov. 1st.

Since i've been a little out of the loop, i won't attempt to suggest
agenda, but maybe my perspective on "media art spaces" below will help
give a broader view to the network here...

And just to mention: our current projects - XLterrestrials + Citizen Kino
- are mobile nomadic projects without a physical homebase, but interacting
with a variety of venues and social spaces.

see you soon!

Paolo Pod~rescu

0----O----o
www.xlterrestrials.org/plog
arts + praxis organisms
o-----O------0

p.s. My 2 cents analysis, re: media art spaces...
have a look if you have time, and if it seems relevant:

Back in Aug. 2009, there was a Sommercamp + Workstation 09 at Haus Der
Kulturen Der Welt, organized by Dock ( Tesla and Garage people ).

I took part in a weekend workshop for Media Lab Groups, with
representatives (mostly from Spanish-speaking regions) :

www.citilab.eu , www.escuelab.org , www.disonancias.com/es/ ,
http://moddr.net/ , www.tijuanamedialab.org/ ,
http://ptqkblogzine.blogia.com/ , http://metareciclagem.ourproject.org/ ,
www.medialab-prado.es , http://access-space.org/ ,
http://xlterrestrials.org , and more ...

You can glimpse a blog entry on it here:

http://xlterrestrials.org/plog/?p=3501

A full XLterrestrial analysis was never completed, but in short:

We spent a long time debating whether the hacklabs and media labs, which
we all interacted with and/or were helping to create, are labs about Much
more than technology or new media. In the end, we saw our centers as new
"Social Lab" Centers.

I.e. The fast-growing phenomenon of Hacklabs are spaces expanding beyond
just hacking,technology, gadgets, devices, the net... they are involved in
hacking ,altering, tweaking the ( dominant) social operating systems
and/or creating new ones.

In the same way, i would say that galleries heavily involved in 'new
media' would benefit in seeing themselves as art spaces which are also
taking on the shift from art as only object - commodity, entertainment,
culture sharing and communication exchange, but places to channel
creativity into engaging with the looming social challenges / crises.

But that's my personal outlook... since our own XLterrestrials project
shifted from media environments to focusing on arts + praxis for
"community organisms" over the last couple years.

[ Note: somewhere there's a wiki page from that Media Lab workshop...
if anyone's interested i will try and find the link again. ]