[resource-net] XLterrestrials / CiTiZEN KiNO proposal

podinski pod at xlterrestrials.org
Tue Nov 20 01:47:29 CET 2012

Dear re-sourcers,

Here below is a proposal for our latest version of Citizen Kino, which
will be on tour in 2013.

We are open to collaborating with one or multiple venues to present /
premiere this during the Transmediale 'Vorspiel'...

We are usually presenting these programs about once-a-month in Berlin at
various venues ( like Z-bar, TheaterKapelle, C-base, Agora, Filmkunst,
Moviemento, various festivals + conferences, etc. ), so if you already
have your plans for Vorspiel, we also have other versions like Citizen
Kino #18 "Economic Hoodoo" which we can perform in Dec. and January...
and/or future programs of C-Kino beyond the Transmediale , i.e. in March,
April.

( We are also open to co-production at selected spaces like the old
PostfuhrAmt Bldgs. at Oranienburgerstr. and Monbijoustr. where Theater
Discounter and Bootlab used to be. )

This new version below is particularly oriented to BWPWAP, and is themed
around 'retro-hacking" and re-routing the standard media environments...

And here's a link for more backround to the Citizen Kino project in general:
http://xlterrestrials.org/plog/?page_id=6501

Look fwd to hearing about other projects during Vorspiel...
all the best!

Paolo Podrescu

co-founder of XLterrestrials
director and co-writer of Citizen Kino
( and dj/vj/xj Podinski )

The XLterrestrials present an all new CiTiZEN KiNO (#20) :
"20th Century Fix: social media for social bodies is retro-hackable !"
 w/ special guests ( to be announced )

A hybrid of cinema, theater and digital culture, where we collectively
navigate the topical currents and/or storms.

#20 theme: Re-routing the 20th century media

In 1908, Charles Pathé, the son of a butcher shop owner, invented the
newsreel in France, short documentary films that provided current news and
items of topical interest to moviegoers. By the 1940s there were theaters
in major cities that were dedicated to screening them all day long.

As the medium was supplanted by corporate television in the 50s ( and the
Cold War ), the chance to collectively process current events in a
community setting was lost; And the power of media was downgraded to
locked programs, installing or uploading pre-fabricated mass reality
frames to users in their isolated homes.

By the 21st century, the public was well-groomed for the so-called
freedoms of the digital revolution to push packets of corporate-formatted
data through the disembodied web 24/7, often entirely removed from their
actual community life and physical existence.

Citizen Kino goes back in 'retrospex' to change the course of our
abstracted and sterile media to pursue another course. As The Grand Cinema
never lived its potential as a fully functional public communications
medium, we go back to hack those gatherings in the dark to co-create
intelligent community 'newsreals' and provide a projection room for a new
collaborative social vision ! We, XLterrestrial citizens, are not sucker
receptacles for packaged spectacles confined to our tiny cubicles ! We
gather to re-ignite the act of dreaming collectively, and we export our
own local versions within the global contexts!

About Citizen Kino:

One of the projects of The XLterrestrials, an arts and praxis group
founded in 2006 in San Francisco, has been to develop a media
interventionist format called CiTiZEN KiNO. A hybrid of cinema, theater
and digital culture, the aim has been to re-format that familiar 20th
century social space w/ curated screenings in a new, re-contextualized and
highly interactive setting.

We go against the grain of escapist entertainment industry settings, by
curating screenings around relevant social issues, local concerns, real
people, global crises, environmental threats, glorious interventions, etc.

And we do not subject an audience to mere download experiences; We
encourage a space for responding to our media environments !

We do this by offering up a theme/topic for an upcoming event, and then
collect citizen suggestions ( usually, but not limited to, online). We
then assemble a possible playlist of media, and then present this in such
a way that the citizens are able to come and discuss the information that
is being shared. So far the concept has been to never show features; We
find relevant shorts and/or we cut extracts, and leave as much space for
'non-mediated' exchange as possible. As we generally "cut to the chase" in
a world of potentially imminent threats and precarious situations.

www.xlterrestrials.org/plog
arts + praxis organisms